A healthy and beautiful set of teeth and gums is the secret to a fantastic smile. Missing teeth may alter your smile suppressing its quality. With dental implants, patients needn't worry about anything that may stop them from showing their best smile forward as implants can offer a healthy and long-lasting set of teeth that'd replace the missing ones.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are prosthetic structures that act as tooth roots to replace missing teeth. They are mostly made of Titanium and are surgically placed into the jawbone beneath the gums where the tooth is missing.
The nature of your implant surgery would depend on the condition of your jawbone and the type of implant being placed. Patients can benefit from implants as they would provide a stable base for your teeth.
Why would you need implants?
Dental implants serve as artificial tooth roots to replace missing teeth thereby improving the quality and health of your smile. As they are surgically implanted into the jawbone, implants won't slip, cause any bone damage, or make noise. You could be the right candidate for dental implants if you suffer from the below conditions:
- One or missing teeth
- Teeth shifting
It is also necessary that the patient has adequate bone structure and healthy gums to hold the implant in place.
What is the procedure involved in getting dental implants?
Getting your dental implants would involve three different phases:
- The dentist would place the implant into the jawbone via surgical methods.
- A certain healing period would be advised that would allow the bone to thoroughly heal around the implant. This process is otherwise known as osseointegration.
- After this phase, the dentist would place an abutment post on top of the implant. The restoration in the form of a crown would be attached to this post. This would serve as an artificial tooth. Single tooth replacements would only require a single crown.
It is natural to experience post-surgery discomforts after dental implant surgery. The patient may experience the below symptoms that would naturally subside in the course of time:
- Swelling of gums and facial skin surrounding the mouth
- Pain at the surgery location
- Experience of minor bleeding
In order to ensure that your implants are well-maintained, it is important to follow regular oral hygiene practices. Patients can begin to brush and rinse their mouth. It is also advised that the patient regularly visits the dentist for checkups to ensure that the newly restored teeth is well and functioning.
To understand more about your dental restorative options, reach Pomona Smiles at (909) 622-2150 or request an appointment with us online.